As you gear up to celebrate the Fourth of July with your friends and family, you also need to prepare for the dangers on the road. According to “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over,” a campaign run by the National Highway Traffic Administration (NHTSA), July 4th is one of the most deadly holidays of the entire year because of drunk-driving accidents. It is important that you take certain precautions to ensure the safety of your family.
What You Should Know about 4th of July Car Accidents
The NHTSA’s campaign released some startling statistics related to auto accidents on the Fourth of July, including the following:
- In 2010, 392 people died in car crashes over the July 4th holiday period, which spans from July 2nd at 6:00 PM to July 6th at 5:59 AM.
- Of the accidents in 2010 during the holiday, 39 percent were linked to intoxication.
- Accidents occur at a much greater rate during the evening hours than the daytime hours over the 4th of July holiday period.
- Nearly half of the young drivers who were killed in traffic accidents over the 4th of July period in 2010 were drunk.
How You Can Stay Safe
You can still have a nice and safe 4th of July. However, you should take measures to improve your safety. Below are some tips to ensure a great holiday.
- Avoid driving at the peak accident hours. If possible, limit your driving from 6:00 PM to 5:59 AM. In 2010, the fatal accidents during this timeframe were five times greater than during the day.
- Know how to spot impaired drivers. You should know what signs to look for that indicate a drunk driver is behind the wheel. Some of the common driving behaviors include swerving, erratic lane switching, and even driving too slow. Avoid one of these vehicles and call the local police.
- Wear your seat belt. It is such a simple way to stay safe, yet many people still don’t buckle up when they’re in the car. You can reduce your chances of dying in a crash by wearing your seat belt.
If You Are Injured
If you have been hurt in a car accident in Warrenton or one of the surrounding areas, we may be able to help. The law firm of Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas represents accident victims and their families by helping them recover the compensation they deserve. To learn more, call one of our Warrenton auto accident attorneys today at 540-341-0007.