If you were hurt in a car crash – and somebody else was at fault – then at some point you will have to deal with the other driver’s insurance agent. No big deal, right? Think again.
Most accident victims are surprised to find out that negotiating with the insurance company can be surprisingly difficult – especially if your injuries are serious. Cut down on your frustrating by looking for these common insurance company games:
- Wearing down the victim – many companies know from experience that if they drag out your claim and delay, delay, delay you will eventually get tired of waiting for more money and will take what you are offered.
- Take this settlement, fast! – the opposite of the ‘wear you down’ game is the super-speedy settlement game. Insurance companies know that you might be desperate for money after the accident, so they quickly send you a check for less than you deserve, hoping you’ll be so happy to see any money at all that you go away and leave them alone. It is in your best interest to go over any settlement offers with a lawyer to make sure you aren’t being taken for a ride.
- Send us your records – have they asked for your medical records yet? Do they want you to sign a medical release form? Watch out! They want you to give them access to your ENTIRE medical history so they can try to blame your accident injuries on something that happened before. Talk to your lawyer before you sign any release forms.
- You don’t need a lawyer – many insurance agents will tell accident victims that they don’t need a lawyer. In fact, some may hint that you’ll even get a lower settlement – or none at all – if you get an attorney involved. Do you really think we lawyers are that bad at what we do for a living? The insurance company just knows that settlements involving a lawyer are larger on average than those without a lawyer.
- The paperwork deluge – insurance agents love paperwork, and lots of it. You may get form after form after form to fill out and sign. Is this really necessary? Not always, and you may say or sign something that you don’t understand and may regret. Again, talk with an attorney before you sign anything.
Need help dealing with the insurance company after an accident?
You don’t need to fight for a fair settlement alone. Our skilled and determined auto accident attorneys do this work every day, and we do it well. Our reputation in Culpeper and Warrenton is based on our compassion for victims and our success in getting fair compensation for our clients. Don’t waste any time – please contact our Warrenton or Culpeper office today to talk about your options.
DULANEY, LAUER & THOMAS, LLP
98 Alexandria Pike, Suite 11
Warrenton, VA 20186
Toll Free: 888.907.2631
209 N. West Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
Toll Free: 800.741.1012