Everyone, from the cop at the scene of your Virginia accident, to your mother, to the nurse in the emergency room, tells you something they think you should make a priority right after a Virginia car crash. Ultimately, the decisions about what to do and when to do it is up to you. However, our Culpeper car accident lawyers want you to have full knowledge of your rights, and we don’t want you to inadvertently forget anything after your crash.
5 Steps to Take as Soon as You Can after a Virginia Car Crash
Generally, it is important to take the following five steps as soon as you can after a car accident:
- Call the police and report the accident. Call 911 if anyone was hurt so that appropriate first responders are quickly sent to the scene. This call should be made as soon as the crash occurs, if you are physically able to do so.
- Get medical help. Ideally, this should be within hours of your accident. If you are seriously injured, you should be taken to the emergency room. However, even if you don’t think you were seriously hurt, you should make an appointment with your doctor, since some injuries aren’t readily apparent.
- Call your family, employer, or anyone else who is expecting you soon. This call should be made as soon as you are able to do so. For some victims, it will be from the scene of the crash, and for others, the call may need to be made by first responders or emergency room workers.
- Call your own insurance company, and report that the accident occurred. While you want to report the crash, you do not have to give a recorded statement or spend a lot of time discussing the specifics of the crash. This call should be made after you are medically stable.
- Call a Culpeper car crash attorney. The sooner you contact a lawyer, the sooner your lawyer may get to work on your recovery. Accordingly, it is important to call when you are ready.
Your unique situation may require you to take other actions during the first few days after your accident. Your doctor, family, and Virginia car accident attorney can help you determine what other steps need to be taken.
Call a Culpeper Car Crash Lawyer to Learn More
For more information about your potential recovery and to schedule a free consultation, please call an experienced car accident lawyer in Culpeper today at 540-825-6046 or 800-741-1012.