After a workplace injury, it may seem as though your employer and their insurance company take a special interest in your situation. You may be asked to give a recorded statement, sign a mountain of paperwork that you don’t really understand, and you may be asked to see a doctor selected by your employer.
All of these things are tricks that Virginia employers use to fight workers’ compensation claims. The last trick is the one we want to talk about here. Injured workers must understand that they do not need to visit a doctor picked by their employer. Just to be clear: you can – and SHOULD – visit a doctor of your own choosing.
Why is this so important? Think about it – if your employer has a doctor on their side, do you think that doctor will have YOUR best interest at heart? No. If you use a doctor selected by your employer, you might find yourself in one of the following situations, as the doctor and your employer try to minimize your workers’ compensation claim as much as possible:
· The doctor may tell you that you in person that you are hurt, but they will write on your medical records that you are not injured at all, and may return to work.
· The doctor may minimize your injuries, telling your employer that you are only have minor injuries when in fact you are badly hurt.
· The doctor may clear you to return to work sooner than is safe, rather than letting you recover fully first. This can cause you to reinjure yourself, making your situation worse.
· The doctor may not prescribe the medications, treatment or therapy that you need to fully recover, instead choosing less-expensive options to save your employer money.
· Your employer may tell you that you must see a company doctor in order to receive workers’ compensation insurance – this is not true!
Does all of this sound unfair? That’s because it is. If you have suffered from an on-the-job injury, it is very important that you understand your rights so that you can protect yourself. One way to ensure that you receive the workers’ compensation benefits that you deserve is to speak with an attorney experienced with Virginia workplace injuries.
If you would like to talk to a skilled Virginia workers’ compensation lawyer, please contact the law offices of Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas. We would be happy to discuss your on-the-job injury clam with you for no cost or obligation.
DULANEY, LAUER & THOMAS, LLP
98 Alexandria Pike, Suite 11
Warrenton, VA 20186
Toll Free: 888.907.2631
209 N. West Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
Toll Free: 800.741.1012