Last year 78 people were killed in accidents involving tractor trailers in Virginia. Considering the large size difference between large trucks and other motor vehicles, it isn’t surprising that the majority of these fatalities were not the tractor trailer occupants. Motor vehicle occupants – drivers and their passengers – are killed and seriously injured far more often than tractor trailer drivers.
The data below was compiled from the government’s FARS database (Fatality Analysis Reporting System). This database contains information for fatal accidents occurring on public roads and highways across the United States.
Virginia large truck related accident fatality statistics for 2008
- Large truck occupants killed: 17
- Large truck occupants killed in a single-vehicle accident: 11
- Large truck occupants killed in a multiple-vehicle accident: 6
- Other vehicle occupants killed: 53
- Non-motorists killed: 8
- Large trucks involved in a fatal front impact collision: 38 (53.5% of all fatalities)
- Large trucks involved in a fatal side impact collision: 2 (2.8% of all fatalities)
- Large trucks involved in a fatal rear-end impact collision: 9 (12.7% of all fatalities)
- Large trucks involved in a fatal collision with fixed object: 5 (7.0% of all fatalities)
- Large trucks involved in a fatal collision with a non-fixed object: 9 (12.7% of all fatalities)
- Large trucks involved in a fatal non-collision accident: 8 (11.3% of all fatalities)
- Large trucks involved in a fatal single-unit rollover crash: 3
- Large trucks involved in a fatal combination truck rollover crash: 6
- Large trucks with trailers involved in fatal jackknife accidents: 4
- Single-unit trucks involved in a fatal crash: 22
- Truck tractors involved in a fatal crash: 47
- Large trucks that caught fire in a fatal crash: 7
You can read more about large truck safety and accident issues in our tractor trailer accident law library. Articles include “What Causes Large Truck Accidents?”, “The Deadly Facts about Tractor Trailer Accidents”, “What Makes Tractor Trailer Accidents Unique?” and more.
If you need advice or help after a serious tractor trailer accident the attorneys at Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas can help you. Please contact one of their Northern Virginia offices to discuss your case for no cost or obligation with one of our experienced large truck injury lawyers.
DULANEY, LAUER & THOMAS, LLP
98 Alexandria Pike, Suite 11
Warrenton, VA 20186
Toll Free: 888.907.2631
209 N. West Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
Toll Free: 800.741.1012