A serious car accident can result in a wide number of injuries and one of the most common areas damaged is your back. In cases of severe back injury such as herniated discs and spinal compression fractures, surgery may be necessary to relieve chronic pain and restore sensation or mobility in extremities.
There are several types of back surgery a car accident victim may undergo, and the 5 most common are:
- Spinal Fusion: When 2 or more vertebrae are joined together to relieve cases of herniated discs or spinal fracture
- Vertebroplasty: Which a bone cement mixture is injected into a vertebra to repair a spinal fracture;
- Kyphoplasty: Uses a balloon inserted into the fractured vertebra and inflates it to allow bone cement to be injected for repair
- Discectomy: Removes a herniated disc
- Laminotomy or Laminectomy: When portions of or the entire lamina covering the spinal cord are removed to relieve pressure on the spinal cord
While these procedures have gotten more efficient and less invasive over the years, they are still major surgical procedures that can result in weeks, even months, of recovery time. During this healing process, you most likely will be unable to work, resulting in lost income and personal time. When your back surgery was necessary due to injuries incurred from a car accident caused by another driver, you have the right to seek damages with the help of a personal injury attorney.
Contact a Front Royal Personal Injury Attorney
After a serious car accident, it’s not uncommon for victims to experience chronic, persistent pain throughout their body. Tensed muscles and nerve damage can result in back pain that may require surgery to find relief and prevent permanent damage. These treatments can be costly, and if your accident was caused by another’s negligence, you shouldn’t have to pay for it yourself!
If you are the victim of someone else’s negligence or carelessness, whether in a car accident or some other type of accident, you have certain rights guaranteed by law. The injury and wrongful death lawyers at Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas are available to help those who have been involved in a Northern Virginia auto accident. Call 1-540-636-7100 to speak with an experienced attorney today.