You might have a family dog, or you might not. Your child may enjoy playing with dogs, or your child may hide behind your legs anytime a canine comes into view.
None of these things matters if a dog has bitten your child. Could your child be at risk?
National Dog Bite Statistics
According to the American Humane Association:
- There are approximately 4.7 million dog bites in the United States each year
- Children under the age of 12 are victims in approximately 50% of all dog bite attacks
- Children under the age of 15 make up 82% of the dog bite victims who need emergency room attention
- About 70% of the victims who die from dog bite attacks are under the age of 10
- 65% of the dog bite injuries suffered by children are to the head and neck
- Children ages 5 – 9 may be particularly vulnerable to dog bite attacks
As a parent, these statistics may be sobering, and it may be important for you to know what to do if your child is injured.
Call a Haymarket Dog Bite Lawyer if Your Child’s Been Hurt
You are your child’s advocate. Just as you are closely monitoring your child’s physical recovery and working with your child’s doctors, so too can you monitor your child’s legal recovery and work with Virginia dog bite lawyers to help your child get the financial recovery that she deserves. For more information, we encourage you to contact an experienced Haymarket dog bite attorney today via this website or at 540-341-0007 or 888-907-2631. We would be pleased to provide you with a FREE consultation about your child’s rights.