Almost everyone does it now and again. Everyone is in a rush to go somewhere. Many people don’t think much about the dangers of going a few miles per hour over the speed limit. Instead, they are focused on the potential consequences if they are caught and ticketed by the local cops or the Virginia State Police.
However, it is important to remember that speed limits exist for a reason and that speeding can, and does, cause serious accidents for which you may need an experienced Fort Royal car accident lawyer.
How Dangerous is Speeding in Virginia?
In 2011, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles reported:
- 317 deaths in speed-related crashes. This was an increase of more than 11% over 2010 Virginia speed related crash fatalities.
- The fatalities included 231 drivers, 79 passengers, and 7 pedestrians.
- 13,927 injuries in speed-related crashes. On average, that means more than 38 people a day are hurt in Virginia speed related accidents.
- About 47% of speeding drivers were between the ages of 21 – 40.
- Weather was not a factor in the majority of speed-related crashes, as more than 77% occurred during clear weather conditions.
- Approximately 60% of speeding accidents occurred during daylight hours.
- Drinking was not found to be a factor in more than 80% of speeding accidents.
These statistics show how serious a problem speeding remains in the Commonwealth of Virginia. However, what statistics can’t show is the grief of the families of those who have died and the suffering of the thousands injured.
How to Contact a Fort Royal Car Accident Attorney after a Speeding Crash
Our Fort Royal auto accident attorneys understand that you and your family are suffering because of another driver’s decision to speed. We are committed to helping you through this difficult time, and we invite you to call us today at (540) 636-7100 or (888) 534-5346 for direct and clear advice about your legal rights and possible legal recovery.