Carl Lauer started his career as a military attorney in the U.S. Army, achieving the rank of Captain in the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). In addition to practicing law as a trial attorney he actively participated in military life, earning his Air Assault badge and playing on the All Army rugby teams for two consecutive years. He considers his early military experience, with focus on duty, service, and preparation, as a vital foundation for his career as a lawyer.
Following his release from active duty, Carl has focused on serious personal injury and wrongful death cases, auto accident law, and worker's compensation law. He's handled hundreds of serious injury and worker's compensation cases throughout Virginia, and is managing partner of our Front Royal office.
Carl is well known in his field, and is an active member in the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association worker's compensation section. He's also a member of Worker's Injury Law Group (WILG), a national advocacy group on behalf of injured workers. Finally, he's a member of the Virginia Worker's Compensation American Inn of Court, an invitation-only group of senior attorneys dedicated to the ethical practice of workplace injury law. He serves on numerous subcommittees working to improve Virginia's worker's compensation system.
He's earned the highest rating ("AV Preeminent") from Martindale-Hubbell, based on the opinions of fellow Virginia attorneys and judges. He also holds the highest rating ("Superb") from Avvo, and is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He's also been named to serve as a mediator/arbitrator for National Arbitration and Mediation, a leading national provider of alternative dispute resolution.
Carl and his wife Susan live just outside Winchester, and Susan teaches kindergarten in the Frederick County school system. Carl has always been active in local affairs, serving with the Jaycees (Warrenton, VA) and making numerous guest speaking appearances at local schools. Carl and Susan have served as team officials for the Sherando Warriors high school swim team, and as volunteers for the Sherando Sharks summer swim team (Frederick County Rec).
When not practicing law, Carl values time with Susan and his daughters, exercising, golf, and supporting local sports teams.
- Bachelor of Arts, Government, Hamilton College (1982) Magna Cum Laude
- Juris Doctor, Washington and Lee University School of Law (1985)
- United States Army, Judge Advocate General School's Officer Basic Course (1986) Commandant's List
Professional Honors & Activities
- Captain, U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corps, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) 1986 -1989
- Member, All-Army Rugby Football Club 1987 & 1988
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, American Trial Lawyers Association
- Rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Rated Superb by Avvo
- Virginia State Bar (1985)
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- United States Army Court of Military Review
- Community Activities:
- Former member and Registered Agent, Warrenton- Fauquier Jaycees
Very quick service, office staff were polite and informative. Mr. Lauer was informative and took his time in explaining my case to me, making sure I understood all options. I would recommend this office to all.
Written by: D. Armeni
Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas
Date published: 01/11/2019
5 / 5 stars
Overall rating: ★★★★★ based on 15 reviews