If a person leaves the scene of a car accident, they may face serious legal consequences. An attorney will tell you that jail time, fines and even a felony conviction can arise from leaving the scene of an auto accident. If someone was critically injured, killed, or had been driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the results can be especially austere.
The only time you should ever leave the scene is to seek help from law enforcement or medical care. Otherwise, you should stay put. Not doing so is not only illegal but it can also ruin your chances of being able to file a personal injury claim to recover compensation for injuries and other damages. This is especially important if you are not at fault.
What should I do after an accident where the other driver fled?
If you are involved in any kind of accident you should follow these steps, especially if you have been injured.
- park your vehicle in a safe spot;
- check yourself and any passengers for injuries;
- call the police;
- seek medical attention if you are hurt;
- take the information of the other driver(s) and any eyewitnesses;
- if possible, take photos of the accident scene and any injuries;
- if the driver fled, write down a description of what the car looked like and what kind of damage it may have; and
- call an attorney.
Injured by Another’s Negligence? Call a Gainesville Car Accident Attorney
An attorney from the offices of Dulaney, Lauer and Thomas can help you file a personal injury claim if you were injured. Vital information can be collected at the scene of the accident to support your claim so it is important to make sure you do not leave. If you have questions about what to do after an accident call 540-341-0007 to schedule a FREE case evaluation today.