When considering the filing of a wrongful death claim it’s helpful to understand what you may be able to recover damages from. There are five basic types of damages that you can recover in a Virginia wrongful death suit:
- Solace, sorrow, or mental anguish that you suffered from the loss of your loved one. This may include loss of companionship, comfort, guidance, advice, or kindly offices.
- Compensation for loss of income. If your loved one was the main source of income for your family you can receive compensation to help with living expenses you are now burdened with without the lost family member.
- Compensation for a loss of services, care, protection, and assistance that your loved one provided for you and your family.
- Financial assistance to help pay the expenses accrued by the hospitalization, care, and treatment of your family member resulting from the injury and death. This also includes funeral expenses.
- In the state of Virginia, punitive damages may be recovered for willful or reckless disregard for the safety of others.
Some of these damages must be specifically brought to the attention of the court in each case to assure they are included in the recovery. This is something your Culpeper wrongful death attorney can help you with.