Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-907-2631
Phone: 540-341-0007
Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas

The driver who hit me was drunk, but he was not convicted of drunk driving. Can I still recover in a civil case? Should I contact a Front Royal drunk driving attorney?


Yes, you may still recover for a drunk driving accident injury in Virginia even if the driver who hit you was not convicted of drunk driving in criminal court. There are several reasons why a civil case is still possible even if a conviction did not occur. First, the standard of proof required in a criminal case is higher than what is required in a civil case. If you file a Virginia personal injury lawsuit, then you and your Front Royal drunk driving accident lawyer need to prove that it is more likely than not that the driver’s negligence (or drinking) was the cause of your accident injuries. Second, additional evidence may be admissible in civil court that is not admissible in criminal court.

For these reasons, it is important to contact a Fort Royal car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your drunk driving accident. Your attorney will be able to gather evidence and make sure that your rights to a possible civil recovery are protected, despite what goes on in criminal court. A settlement or verdict in a Virginia drunk driving civil case may include compensation for past and future medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost income, out-of-pocket expenses, and pain and suffering.

For more information, please contact an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer in Fort Royal today via this website or by calling (540) 636-7100 or (888) 534-5346.

Carl N. Lauer
Connect with me
Carl has focused on representing injured persons in Virginia.Workers' Compensation Claims.