If you were hurt in a Virginia car wreck because the other driver was drunk, you may be looking for information. In this article we’ll cover how driver skills and perceptions are altered by varying levels of blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
A driver’s BAC level indicates the amount of alcohol in their bloodstream, which is a good indicator of their level of impairment. In all states in the U.S. it is illegal to drive with a BAC of 0.08 or above. Statistically, those in the 21 to 34 age range are the most likely to drive while intoxicated. Males are also more likely than females to drive drunk.
Effects of Different BAC levels on Driving Ability
BAC of 0.02
- Difficulty tracking a moving target (like other cars on the road)
- Difficulty performing two tasks at the same time (“divided attention tasks”)
- Some loss of judgment
BAC of 0.05
- Reduced coordination
- Reduced ability to track moving targets
- Problems steering
- Reduced ability to react well in emergency situations
- Impaired judgment and lowered alertness
- Lowered inhibitions
BAC of 0.08
- Short-term memory loss
- Difficulty processing information (understanding what is going on)
- Impaired perception and ability to sense danger
- Poor muscle coordination (balance, speech, reaction time, hearing)
BAC of 0.10
- Inability to stay in the lane
- Difficulty braking properly and in a timely manner
- Noticeable problems with reaction times and self-control
- Slurred speech and poor coordination
BAC of 0.15
- Major problems controlling a vehicle
- Difficulty processing visual and auditory information
- Greatly reduced muscle control
- Serious loss of balance
It is important to note that alcohol affects everyone differently. Some people may be unsafe to drive after only one drink, and symptoms of alcohol impairment will differ by the individual.
Hurt by a drunk driver in Warrenton or Culpeper?
We work hard to help victims of drunk driving accidents in Warrenton, Culpeper and the surrounding areas. Please contact our Warrenton or Culpeper office today to discuss your DUI accident case with one of our skilled, compassionate Virginia auto accident attorneys.
DULANEY, LAUER & THOMAS, LLP
98 Alexandria Pike, Suite 11
Warrenton, VA 20186
Toll Free: 888.907.2631
209 N. West Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
Toll Free: 800.741.1012